Thursday, January 1, 2009

Sutent in the Mail

Who knew that chemo could be delivered in the mail?
I started Sutent last night. Its a red and gray capsule. It was very surreal taking it that way. It seems to lesson the blow....the fear....but in the back of my mind I know - it's still chemo. Though this time it will be the cure.
I was confused as you are probably now when Caremark (pharmacy that my insurance uses) called. Dr. Benjamin had figured that we would not be starting until late January because we were waiting on approval from my insurance. Each round last 28 days. I take one pill a day. Cost? Just over $8,000. Thank goodness my copay is only $35. There isn't much that the doctors know about the true side effects from this chemo. They know that it may increase my blood pressure, make me tired/fatigued, nauseous, and that I have to stay away from grapefruit products. Basically, a bland diet and lots of water. I also can't touch hot water. Sean is changing the temp gage on the heater for me.
So how do I feel? Okay so far. Since it can make you tired and and nauseous we decided to start last night as opposed to this morning. I slept fine and I feel fine. I do have medicine that I am taking to keep any unforeseen nausea under control. So each night I will take yet another pill. I finish this cycle on the 22nd and we will see Dr. Benjamin on the 29th instead of the 5th. Speaking of that date....I will be seeing more doctors on that day in Feb. about my stint and my previous surgery.
On a side note:
I have been thinking about my New Years Resolutions. I don't have any yet, but I know that I need to do something about my phone and email. I haven't been great about returning mail or calls since Ike. But I think of you and I know that I owe you a call or better - a visit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey girlie....you are in my thoughts everyday. i am here and will do whatever you need. please just ask. you are in my prayers. call when you feel up to it. love ya!

Sami

lica said...

The Power of Positivity. Thanks to you and Katy I have learned to post a comment! (You know I am techno challenged!)
You need not make any New Year's resolution for you have made one for eternity: Positivity is POWER...that says it all. Not only for you, but for so many of us. God Bless you. You are the most amazing peron I know. I can't wait for my new bracelets!