Friday, April 10, 2009

It's Been A While

I haven't written anything in a while. Don't worry, the chemo is DEFINITELY still working!!! So much seems to be going on around me that I find myself "sucking it up" and trying to help problem solve for others. I have friends who have babies who are at Texas Children's and I have friends whose parents are dying and I have friends whose lives are still ripped apart from Ike. As cheesy as it may sound....they need my positivity mixed in with their own. And I am happy to have the energy to give. So I find my self going to work, going home or visiting with these friends, and going to bed.
No I have not been on Chemo for 4 months. Dr. Benjamin was hoping for that, but my little engine that can sort of steamed out for a while there. Beginning of March some weird things happened. At that point I had been on this Sutent for nearly two months and my body had decided it had enough. And I am not talking about my hair that turned white. Interesting and quite freaky, but fixable. No, my blood pressure dropped very low and my face and chest turned a pinky red and I was VERY grumpy, TIRED, and sick. So we stopped for 3 weeks. And after a few days I felt great. I went to South Lake Tahoe with family and I had a blast. I was able to sleep and eat normally....and I drank like a good little catholic would too! By March 20th I was ready to start this Sutent again. My body, mind, and spirit had truly healed and I wasn't so scared since I then knew what to expect. One day at a time, right? That's the way to do it. I don't worry about the side effects. I think if you think about them too much, it will surely happen. Positive thinking remember?
So here we are.....week 4. I love my hair. It's like brown then white, then brown. I'll have to fix that before Easter services. I can't have the Cardinal seeing that. Hee Hee. So far for the most part I have been fine. I can tell when I have over done it though. At school this week, we had ITBS testing and we also made Easter bags and dyed eggs and had an egg hunt and....and...and. So needless to say by Thursday I was wiped out. This weekend is pretty full too, but I plan to rest in between.
RELAY FOR LIFE!!!! This is on April 24th! Please join my teams. Positivity is Power and Positivity is Power 2. I met this sweet young guy (well not yet in person) named Chris Sanderson. He is so positive and enthusiastic and he was recently diagnosed with RHABDO Sarcoma. He is a police officer down here and he is still working in between his treatments. Well, he is just a joy to talk to. Kind of reminds me of a younger version of me. He is on the Relay for Life team too. Just another reason you'd want to be apart of this. Go to www.relaygalveston.com to see more info about this incredible event. Think of survivors you know. And of those that you hold a special place for in your heart for they lost their own fight. This is whi this event is for. Finding the cure. Fighting the cancer. Supporting the cause. Really, thank you so much for all of your donations and support. Thank you for wearing my bracelets too! That means so much to me!!Your power and enthusiasm is half the battle and in my "darkest hour" it helps keep me fighting.
I go back to the doctor on the 12th of May. I will have more testing to see how this chemo is working and also an MRI on my right thigh. I have these severe pains in it and the CT didn't show anything. It may be a phantom nerve and it only happens when I am on the chemo (I never once had the pain during the 3 week break). So hopefully this will tell us more. For those of you that have to drink 2 tall bottles of barrium......try mixing the berry and banana flavors. Seriously! I have had enough barrium parties to say that mixing it helps it go down so much easier.
Till then,
CARPE DIEM!

No comments: